Friday, June 5, 2020

Beekman 1802 Facial Wipes- Review and Eco-friendly Option


Beekman 1802 is a company I discovered late last year. I was in a little boutique and saw that they had a mineral facial sunscreen (their sunscreen review to come). As I'm always on the hunt for sunscreen that won't completely ruin my skin, I looked into this brand some more. Beekman 1802 is a cruelty-free brand that is all about their star ingredient- goat's milk which they include in just about everything they sell. Goat’s milk is high in lactic acid which is both exfoliating and moisturizing for skin. 

The 1802 part of the name is from the year 1802, that the farm that the goats currently reside in was originally built. Beekman is after the original owners of the farm. However, what attracted me to Beekman 1802 is that on further research I found out how well formulated their products are and the quality of their ingredients.  They also really focus on the treating everyone as if they are one of their neighbours which I like the idea of. A little kindness and respect go a long way.

One of the items I picked up from Beekman 1802 is their facial wipes. I can already hear some of you screaming- facial wipes aren't eco-friendly! For the most part I agree with you, but Beekman 1802 has gone above and beyond in my opinion and created an eco-friendly option for facial wipes. 

These facial wipes are biodegradable and come in a recyclable package. Which makes me very happy as these would be hard to give up.

I tend to only use facial wipes in either desperate straits and/or to remove my makeup before I wash my face for the night. It makes it so that I actually sort of double cleanse my skin. They aren't an everyday thing, but I do use them. I know they aren't the best environmentally speaking but these at least are making a lesser impact. I figure it’s every little bit that counts. These are great after a long day at school or work and you just want to remove your make-up quickly but not do your whole face routine. They are lovely as they remove make-up well but are gentle enough to use even around the eyes.



Not only do these work, they also smell AMAZING. I've tried two of their scents in the wipes the Honeyed Grapefruit and the Vanilla Absolute and they are both so wonderful. I often just close my eyes and breathe in the smell of them before or after I use the wipe. 



Honeyed Grapefruit is my favourite of the two, to me it exactly embodies grapefruit that has been broiled in the oven with honey drizzled on top (if you've never tried it, I highly recommend that as a snack, so yum). Juicy and sweet and just wonderful. Vanilla Absolute is lovely too with an excellent not overly sweet vanilla scent with a light grounding note. The next scent I'd like to try is their Sweet Grass scent, but they have others if none of these strike your fancy. One thing to keep in mind is that although there are scent notes given for description of the scents, I find that the scent name tends to be a better description of the fragrance. For example, Honeyed Grapefruit scent notes include Jasmine and I dislike Jasmine and can’t smell even a hint of it in Honeyed Grapefruit. For those out there sensitive to fragrance they also have a Pure option that is scent-free.
 
View of a wipe so you can see the texture.

These are also exceptional for face wipes in that they are alcohol-free and actually have moisturizing and skin care ingredients in them. They are ever-so-slightly textured in a honey-comb-like pattern and are white in colouration.

Here's a list of the ingredients for the Honeyed Grapefruit Wipes:
Water (Aqua), Decyl Glucoside, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Extract, Caprae Lac (Goat Milk), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Citric Acid, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Polysorbate 20, EDTA Disodium, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum).



In addition to the packaging being recyclable they somehow managed to make it so that the sticker-flap actually seals in the moisture for these wipes. I hated when in the past I’ve used face wipes and the last few in the package are dry because the top didn’t seal properly. Such a waste. I’m now almost through my first package and a good way through my second package and I’ve not had any dry-down in the wipes at all. They are still as wet as when I first opened them. 

Image from the HSN website

These wipes retail for $7 USD for 6 oz or 30 wipes. So, these aren’t cheap, but I feel like the quality of these is so much nicer than other facial wipes I’ve tried. Which I honestly didn’t think I’d say- I mean I was of the idea one face wipe is the same as all the rest. You can purchase them on the Beekman 1802 website, but they are also available through the Home Shopping Network (often you can score deals on bundles), or The Shopping Channel if you’re in Canada. They sometimes have retailers in small boutiques as well, such as Pedlar’s Quay in Tillsonburg, Ontario, where I purchased my first package. 

I would say that the only issue I have with these is that it says on the package that they only have a two-month shelf-life. I’ve kept and am still using them after this point and not noticed any issues but something to keep in mind.

Sprite Rating: 9.5/10

I will for sure be purchasing these again. They work so well, smell and feel luxurious and are biodegradable. Beekman 1802 did a great job on these!

1 comment:

  1. Great article! Thanks for sharing I added some thoughts on face wipe sometime ago

    ReplyDelete