Monday, May 11, 2020

Elate Cosmetics Creme Lipstick in Adore Review



Recently I've been really getting into 'Clean', 'Green' or 'Natural' beauty. By no means am I saying that mainstream products are out of my routine or even necessarily harmful (which seems to be the cause of many people switching over), merely that I am trying to buy from more eco-conscious brands that give back more, have more biodegradable formulas and packaging, and try to make a difference. I also have a lot of sensitivities and ingredient allergies and I find it's easier to a) figure out the ingredients in these products and b) avoid many of the acne causing ingredients that cause me problems.

Elate Cosmetics is one of these brands, and bonus they're Canadian!


I've not tried much from this brand but what I did pick-up was one of their Creme lipsticks. The lipstick I chose was a shade called Adore that I believe was limited edition as I can't find it on the site anymore. If you are looking for something very close colour-wise Plush is very similar, just a tad pinker.

Adore is in my opinion the perfect mauve/everyday shade. It's ever-so-slightly purple and I love it. It is very much a 'my lips but better' shade for me and I love how makes me feel. Sophisticated and unique but not too different as to cause a fuss at work.  (Please excuse the acne in the photos, I do the best I can).
Wearing Adore in Natural Lighting
Wearing Adore in Indoor Lighting
The Elate Creme lipstick formula is a lovely one, it's creamy and has medium-long wear time. Without major eating/drinking it lasts about 3-4 hours on average. It's not transfer-proof but it's moisturizing and comfortable to wear and it has a lovely vanilla smell from the real Vanilla Absolute that is one of the ingredients.
Natural Light swatch of Adore (Most realistic)
Indoor Light swatch of Adore

Here is a list of the ingredients:

Ricinus Communis (Organic Castor Seed Oil), Simmondsia Chinensis (Organic Cold Pressed Jojoba Seed Oil), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla Wax), Limnanthes Alba (Organic Meadowfoam Seed Oil), Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit (Unrefined Organic Shea Butter), Mangifera Indica (Organic Mango Seed Butter), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba Wax), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla Absolute Oil), +/- CI77499 (Black Oxide), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77820 (Manganese Violet), CI77491 (Red Oxide)


Another benefit of these lipsticks is the beautiful packaging. The tubes are made of bamboo and aluminum metal wrapped on a recyclable plastic insert, so they are partially compostable and partially recyclable. Elate recommends crushing the bamboo and composting that part and to recycle the rest. I particularly love the burned/etched design on all the tubes.



There are a couple downsides to the packaging however, the first being that they come with a sticker that shows you that the lipstick hasn't been opened. This is fine, and it isn't plastic which is great, but the sticker doesn't come off cleanly and you need to spend some time cleaning the bits and residue off of the bamboo which is annoying.


My tube also came slightly ski-jawed so the bullet is a touch crooked. It wastes a bit of product when I twist the tube up and down which is a shame, but doesn't affect the use except for my gentle handling of it.

Elate is a great company that is available in multiple places so if you want to pick-up one of their products. So look around to see if you can get a deal anywhere, here is the link to the lipstick page on their website. The lipsticks retail for $22 CND, which I think is very reasonable considering the packaging and ingredients, etc. There are currently 13 different shades that I think would suit a wide variety of skin tones.

Overall, I do really like these lipsticks, I would get another of these (possibly in the shade Kink, it looks interesting). I would have preferred a touch more wear time, and for the bullet to not have been so fragile but I do like the moisturizing factor and the ingredients, packaging and perfect shade Adore turned out to be.

Sprite Rating: 8.5/10


1 comment: