Friday, November 11, 2011

Blogger Love! Nouveau Cheap

If you don't know Blogger Love! is a series here on Hebridean Sprite Beauty that features some of my favourite bloggers that feature nail polish, skin care and cosmetics. Today's is G from Nouveau Cheap who only features items under $20 and is the drugstore and coupon Queen! She's also really friendly and approachable which I think in a big time blogger (she's very popular!) is a really great virtue to have.

1) Are you more of a Morning, Day, or Night time person?
Definitely a night owl. 

2) Something you struggle with on a day to day basis?
Responding to email. There is never enough time in the day, unfortunately.

3) Favourite Animal?
Elephant.

4) Favourite Colour?
Very pale pink.

5) Preferred foundation coverage and finish ex. Heavy coverage, matte
Full coverage.

6) How old are you?
40.

7) First makeup brand that really got you interested in cosmetics?
It was the L'Oreal Shadow Riche eyeshadows from the 80s. Once I tried those, I was hooked.

8) Do you have any makeup, nail polish or skin care items that are perfect for you? (HG items) If so which- include shade names please.
Maybelline Define-A-Brow eyebrow pencil in Dark Blonde is the PERFECT match for my brows. I have tried a zillion others but always come back to it. (G has just posted a full set of her HG items! You can check out them all and her reviews here!)

9) What is your favourite food? Drink?
Food: Nothing compares to homemade baked macaroni and cheese.
Drink: The Good Earth Peach Black Tea. I could drink a gallon a day.

10) Favourite Gem Stone?
I'm not really a jewelry person but I love opals.

11) Do you have any pets in your life? If yes, what are their names (and can we have pictures?)
Sadly, I do not. But I used to have a boxer named JD. :)

12) One place you’ve never been that you want to visit?
I cannot believe I've still never been to NYC. That's at the top of my list.

13) What inspired you to start your blog?
I used to work in an office where I was kind of the go-to person for all things beauty-related. One day one of my colleagues urged me to start a blog, so I eventually did it!

14) What are some of the most useful things you’ve learned about since you started blogging?
If you work hard, you're passionate and you write from the heart, the rest will fall into place. 

15) Favourite Season?
Winter.

16) What do you use to take your blog photos? What type of computer?
I have two cameras and neither of them is fancy. One is quite old but excellent for close-ups, while the other is newer but under $100 and I use it for outdoor shots. I have a very standard PC--nothing fancy there either.

17) What genre of movies/books do you like?
I'm all over the place when it comes to books. I just finished re-reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, and then I read Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. I love fiction and nonfiction equally, but there are some genres that just don't appeal to me such as romance and chick-lit. I like difficult books that force me to think critically. If I want fluff, I'd rather turn on the TV!

18) Other hobbies or events that you’re involved in?
Blogging is my number one hobby, but I love to cook and bake (I'm a better cook than baker) and I love arts and crafts. I was really into jewelry making a while ago and I'm kind of doing that again in my free time.

19) Most unique eyeshadow you own?
Probably my original Urban Decay eyeshadow single in Road Stripe. I bought it when Urban Decay first came out in the early 90s (when the packaging was made of metal) and it's been long-since discontinued.

20) Most unique lip product?
I have a few MAC lipsticks that are quite old and were discontinued many years ago. They're pretty unique.

21) Favourite colour combinations?
I'm an earth-tone gal. I love soft, well-blended looks with lots of browns, taupes, golds, bronzes and olives.

22) Favourite piece of jewelry? Why is it your favourite?
All of the women on my mom's side of the family wear the same bracelet on their left wrist. As soon as you're old enough to wear a bracelet you get one from your mother and when you outgrow it, you get a larger one. We literally never take them off, so that's my favorite piece of jewelry ever.

23) Best drugstore product you’ve tried?
I can't possibly answer that, given the theme of my blog! 

24) Random fact you'd like to share about yourself?
I hate tomatoes in sandwiches, yet I love them in salads.

25) Favourite Nail Polish Brand and why?
Oh wow..I don't think I can narrow that down! But some of my favorites are China Glaze, Sally Hansen, Wet n Wild and Maybelline.

26) Most unique polish you own, why?
It's actually not too unique but it's one of those coveted flakies: Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure.

27) Favourite polish colour to wear?
A year ago I would have said taupe/greige/mushroom, but I'm afraid I've burned myself out on those lately. So I'll go with a nice olive green shimmer.

28) What are the best top coat, base coat, treatments you’ve tried for your nails?
I really love the Essie quick-dry top coat for when I have zero time to wait for my nails to dry, but I also LOVE the new Milani top and base coats. They work beautifully together and really extend the life of my manis.

29) What is your favourite finish of polish? (ie. Cream, holographic, matte, etc.)
I'm a sucker for a beautiful creme, but I also love holos of course.



I want to thank G so much for taking the time to do this! If you've got the time you should definitely check out her blog- she's my drugstore go to girl for sure!

2 comments: