Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nars New Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer~ Review

Face Primer by NARS at ShopStyle

Recently Sephora over here in Canada was offering Beauty Insiders free samples of the New(ish) Nars Pro-Primer Pore Refining Primer. This is a silicone-free primer that is supposed to do a whole bunch of stuff for your skin as well as blurring the look of pores. Personally, I didn't find it that great. In fact for being a supposably 'new' primer I found it almost identical to the old oil-free silicone-free primer that Nars had out.

This primer is a white gel that applies clear and smells quite herbal. The smell dies down quickly but it is strong at first. Honestly I don't notice much pore blurring at all, when I apply this. It sinks in well and applies nicely, it also helps my foundation apply a bit better but overall I'm underwhelmed. I've tried better primers for pore blurring, as well as foundation application, hydration, and increased longevity of my foundation. It's not exactly inexpensive either at $32 USD for 1 oz of product. The only real bonus is the hidden possible skincare benefits (it does feel nice going on) and the fact I didn't break out from it.
I'm just not digging it despite the slew of ingredients that sound so good. Here is what Nars says is included:

  • Mineral Powders to manage oil and blurr the look of pores and fine lines, and provide a matte finish to the skin
  • Frangrance-free
  • Lentil Seed Extract to control shine, and diminish the appearance of dilated pores over time
  • Butterbur Root Extract to calm and sooth skin
  • Vitamins A, C and E to provide antioxidant protection and prevent premature aging
Maybe the real benefit of this primer is in the long-term benefits but the only ingredient with enough in the primer to actually do some good long term is the Lentil Seed Extract. 

Sprite Rating: 5/10- an average/alright primer, but I truly think there is better options out there.

Would I purchase this? No. Not for the price and the lack of an instant effect it gives. And if I wanted a long term helpful primer I'd probably go for the Cargo Activating Primer instead due to the lower price and really easy to control squeeze tube. 

NOTE: Nars is owned by a company that does animal testing. Nars themselves does not do animal testing however. Just something to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment