Tuesday, May 31, 2011

High Voltage Cosmetics~ Review and Swatches

A couple months ago I had ordered a ton of samples from High Voltage Cosmetics, an indie company that has a high variety of eyeshadow colours as well as some lip products (which I didn't get samples of). Everything came nicely packaged in a bubble-wrapped envelope with the samples in little baggies with the names on little stickers. All the baggies were placed together in a larger baggie with gold stars on it which I thought was nice. There was also a small hand written thank-you as well. Unfortunately, I didn't receive all the samples I ordered and though I've e-mailed multiple times I've yet to get a response in return.

The best thing about High Voltage eyeshadows I think is the wonderful duochrome options. Truly unique and absolutely fabulous, there are options available for everyone! I ordered the entire Norse Mythology collection as well as some from the permanent lines too. I certainly have some favourites but some I was a bit disappointed in too. One thing I was kinda disappointed about was that one of my shadow samples was missing- part of the collection was the shadow Mani and Sol from the Norse Mythology Collection but I never recieved it. I did however recieve 2 Vali and 2 Uggdrasil for some reason. I received a couple other extra shadow samples in my order too but I would have liked the Mani and Sol alot I think.

Favourites- Vali (MOST FAVOURITE!), Stiletto Strut, Twilight Symphony, Vor, Baldr, Thorr, Radio Waves, Born to Rock (not shown- was mixed into the purple mix), Sif, Aasgard

Disappointments- Smoke and Mirrors (darker than I wanted- not as pigmented as I wanted), Snotra wasn't unique enough, Mead of Suttungr (kind of patchy- looks white instead of off-white on), Manhatten (too dark- not really different than alot of charcoals out there), Tyr (really looks rust like to me, too close to rust coloured for me to want to wear).

I did attempt to contact the owner of High Voltage cosmetics twice and never heard back from her. I had asked her a bunch of questions about her company and herself- even just getting a response saying they were happy I was reviewing their shadows but can't take the time to fill out my questions would have been appreciated. But I didn't have any issues with the service at all- cheap shipping, good sample prices, lots of variety and fairly quick shipping. The only downside was the one shadow missing.

I found the sample baggies a pain due to their finickiness and difficultly to not get the shadow everywhere using them though they were well labeled. The samples weren't large enough to even press a shadow pan a quarter of the way filled- the mixes were three or four shadows combined together and the shadow pans still weren't full- which was a shame as I was hoping to press them to use. When I use them out of the bags I get the powder all over my hands and the surface I'm working over. Also, the website could really benefit from a search bar! I found it hard to find certain shades a second time browsing the website.

All in all though I do like the company and I think there are some great options here. However unless you can handle eyeshadows from little baggies I don't recommend ordering any samples unless you're really unsure of a colour- just choose wisely based on online swatches and order the full size. Anyways here are my many swatches- Enjoy!

Top to Bottom: Green Mix, Purple Mix, Stiletto Strut, Acoustic, Smoke &; Mirrors
Top to Bottom: Green Mix, Purple Mix, Stiletto Strut, Acoustic, Smoke &; Mirrors
The Green Mix is Prince Charming, Odin and Einherjer samples mixed together; the Purple Mix is Ala Rock, Frozen Love and Born to Rock  samples all together.
Top to Bottom: Himinbjorg, Gefjon, Vali, Ragnarok, Thorr, Lofn, Vor, Snotra, Twilight Symphony, Baldr, Aasgard, Frigg
Top to Bottom: Himinbjorg, Gefjon, Vali, Ragnarok, Thorr
Top to Bottom: Thorr, Lofn, Vor, Snotra, Twilight Symphony

Top to Bottom: Snotra, Twilight Symphony, Baldr, Aasgard, Frigg
Top to Bottom: Mead of Suttungr, Freyja, Manhatten, Freyr, Weth, Reverb, Valhalla, Stargazer, Aandlang, Uggdrasil, Radio Waves, Loki, Tyr, Sif
Top to Bottom: Mead of Suttungr, Freyja, Manhatten, Freyr, Weth, Reverb
Top to Bottom: Freyr, Weth, Reverb, Valhalla, Stargazer, Aandlang, Uggdrasil

Top to Bottom: Uggdrasil, Radio Waves, Loki, Tyr, Sif

No comments:

Post a Comment