Sunday, August 21, 2011

Wet n' Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Single in Brulee~ Review and Swatch

Many of you will have heard me rave about this little eyeshadow in the past, Wet n' Wild's Color Icon Eyeshadow Single in Brulee. Let me start off this review by saying this is my HG (Holy Grail) nude shade. That really does give you a good idea of how this review is going to go doesn't it?

Sorry! The corner of the eyeshadow broke, but I'm still using it. I've got quite a bit left despite the fact you can see pan!
Here is my very well loved Brulee single. Brulee is a square about 2cm by 2cm big in a matte nude shade. This means it has no shimmer to it at all. Brulee is the only matte single in the line and really is the  standout shade in my opinion. Wet n' Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Singles cost $2.99 CND or $1.99 USD (it's amazing how much more expensive everything is in Canada isn't it? Plus in the US Wet n' Wild is often on sale). You get 0.06 oz of product in total.

For reference I'm N10 on the Mac Scale and this is the perfect skin shade for me (the skin around my eyes is just a touch darker than the rest of my face). If I'm in a hurry I use this all over the lid to even out discolouration of my eyelids. Similarly, if I've got a subtle look going on I like to use it as a highlight shade- which really just hides more discolouration. In a pinch I've used it as an under-eye concealer powder and it works fantastic as a shade to blend out darker colours edges, or mistakes. For darker skin girls I think this would make a lovely highlighter shade. 
L-R: Brulee over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy (PE), Brulee dry on skin.
With Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy beneath you can see the colour Brulee turns when it's used wet. It goes just slightly darker. I personally prefer it dry and by itself over my everyday primer TFSI (Too Faced Shadow Insurance) but as you can see it's rather difficult to see on my skin that way.
L-R: Brulee over PE, Brulee Dry on skin. Indoors, natural light. Best colour representation.
Brulee over PE, sunlight.
I personally love the matte texture of this shadow. Really silky smooth, excellent pigmentation and easy to blend. Some people say it's a bit powdery but I don't really mind that in my matte shades as I find this one fantastic and super easy to blend because of the slight powderiness.

Many people have compared this to a couple different Mac matte eyeshadow shades. I've heard it compared to both Brule and Blanc Type from Mac though I think it's a dupe for Blanc Type myself. Plus these are a way better deal price wise in my opinion!

The packaging on these is sturdy and you do get quite a bit of shadow (I've had mine a long time as you can see on the wear of my package in the pictures). There is a slight trick to opening the package without digging your nail into the shadow (you need to open the tab from below and pop it up with your nail), but once you get the hang of it there is no issue. 

This was the shade that convinced me that I need more matte shades in my life as well as more neutral/skintone shades. How subtle and pretty the "nude" or "bare-faced" look can be. 

Overall, I adore this eyeshadow shade. Best colour for my skin, and so many uses! Plus it's super cheap, how can you complain! 

Sprite Rating: 10/10- even though mine broke a bit, I really think that's because it is quite old and doesn't get handled with a ton of care (i.e. it's my fault not the product). Fantastic matte shade that really converted me the the major benefits of not only matte finish eyeshadows but neutral shades in general. 

Would I buy this again? I don't think I can say it enough. YES, Yes, Yes! I can see myself repurchasing over and over! And stocking up if they think of discontinuing this product! I truly think it is a shade everyone needs, especially for the price.

As always Wet n' Wild is a cruelty-free company, though not vegan. As a side note, Nouveau Cheap mentioned lately that Wet n' Wild is planning on releasing a all matte shade palette! How exciting is that! Whoot!

2 comments:

  1. wow i have heard that wet n wild eyeshadows are great, but now i cant wait to try it myself! especially because its only $2!!! thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my fav highlight color of all times!

    ReplyDelete